Here's a comprehensive summary of my resume. You can also find details on my LinkedIn page.
User Experience Designer, ZirMed; Chicago, IL - September 2016 - March 2017
- Lead all User Experience (UX) activities for a series of Revenue Cycle Management applications.
- Provided healthcare industry insights toward the development of a Population Health Management application.
Principal Human Factors Engineer, Medtronic; Boulder, CO — June 2015-August 2016
- Lead all User Experience (UX) activities in the development of the FT10 and next generation electrosurgical generators; including touchscreen UI design, Formative and Summative usability testing, use error risk analysis while following IEC 62366 Usability standard.
- Improved Autobipolar energy workflow by removing one user action to access the mode.
- Supported multiple projects as an Interaction Designer; including a surgical retained sponge detection system, a cardiac ablation generator, and the Valleylab Exchange software download tool.
Consultant, User Experience and Product Management, Cyder Healthcare; Madison, WI - August 2015 - Present
- Provided prioritization of 30 user stories, market knowledge, and wireframes to get a tablet-based patient satisfaction survey tool ready for Beta release.
- Designed new concepts to add a patient Loneliness Screener and Patient Profile features to the application.
User Experience Engineer, Premier, Inc. (formerly TheraDoc); Salt Lake City — January 2012 - June 2015
- Assisted a market research project to identify new markets for possible Health IT line and brand extensions. Facilitated over 10 interviews and design concept reviews to identify and validate market problems to kickoff the development of a “greenfield” clinical surveillance product.
- As the lone UX professional, introduced and advocated UX and User Centered Design principles to the TheraDoc organization. Created a Usability Library and provided internalpresentations to share knowledge of all User Research activities, User Interface concepts, and UX best practices. Cultivated an open, transparent culture to allow all members of the organization to contribute to the improvement of the user experience of TheraDoc products.
- Developed 6 Personas for all the primary TheraDoc users based on User Research. These Personas were utilized as a training tool for new hires and educating members of the Product Development team around key user needs.
- Facilitated dozens of WebEx and onsite User Research interviews with Pharmacists and Infection Control Practitioners in order to gather user needs and identify TheraDoc usability issues. Established baseline usability metrics, such as task times and number of user clicks, through moderated usability studies.
- Developed over 15 User Interface wireframes focused on Clinical Pharmacy workflows, Infection Prevention documentation, real-time clinical notifications, and clinical rule authoring for both desktop and mobile platforms.
- Authored a Usability Engineering Process document for the TheraDoc Quality Management System.
Principal User Experience Researcher, Wolters-Kluwer (formerly Pharmacy OneSource); Madison, WI — October 2010 - December 2012
Managed a small, 2-person User Experience Research team and developed processes to improve User Research activities to promote better understanding of end user workflows, environmental conditions, and interactions to support design solutions. Authored a User Research Best Practices document, created a User Research Library to promote better sharing of user data, and introduced Usability Studies as a method of design validation.
Interaction Designer, Pharmacy OneSource; Madison, WI — March 2008 - October 2010
- Led User Research and Interaction Design for Sentri7, an electronic surveillance application. Efforts led to improvements for both Clinical Pharmacists and Infection Control Practitioners. Design work included the addition of new widgets to display information on the surveillance dashboard, a positive microbiology culture work list, easier to read lab data trending and indications of corrections, and a medication panel with added flexibility for displayed data.
- Led User Research and Interaction Design efforts for the re-design of Simplifi797, a USP 797 compliance management application. Design efforts included a more usable dashboard, more efficient batch process data entry, additional tasks and competencies to track compliance, and an improved, up-to-date aesthetic design.
- Facilitated User Research and Interaction Design efforts for the re-design of UnitStock, a medication inspection compliance application. Efforts lead to the release of VeriForm which included more flexibility to create check list inspection forms and criteria, added inspection scheduling flexibility, improved table layout of upcoming and completed inspections, and expanded reporting capabilities.
Usability Engineer/Localization Coordinator, GE Healthcare (formerly Datex-Ohmeda); Madison, WI — June 2004 - March 2008
- Designed and usability-tested a simplified user interface layout on the Engstrom Ventilator for minimally trained users in mass-casualty situations. This simplified user interface tested successfully with secondary ventilator users, increased maximum viewing distances for isolation rooms, and was seen by many as a means to train new users of the ventilator.
- Managed all design and user research activities for new features on the Engstrom Ventilator User Interface. Features included a suction procedure, improved backup ventilation mode, lung mechanics measurements, and neonatal capabilities.
Software Systems Engineer, Datex-Ohmeda; Madison, WI — June 2001 - June 2004
Wrote and maintained over 5000 software requirements for two anesthesia machines and a critical care ventilator.
- University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI — M.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2005
- Focus: Human Factors Engineering /Human-Computer Interaction
- University of Iowa; Iowa City, IA — B.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2001
User-Centered Design, Usability Testing, User Interface Design, Human Factors Engineering, Personas, Requirements Analysis, Wireframes, Agile Development, Voice of Customer, Contextual Inquiry, Market Research, Feature Prioritization
- Proficient with Axure, Balsamiq, PowerMockup, Visio, and Morae
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS, Photoshop, Sketch
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Apple Pages, Numbers, and Keynote
- 10.10.10 Healthcare Volunteer: Working on the Wicked Problems team to collect and filter the healthcare problem statements to present to the CEOs.
- MedSpeaks: Provided UX consulting and early website wireframes - January - April 2015
- User Centered Design Workshop, Boulder Medical Technology UX/HF Meetup - Facilitator, March 2016
- Introduction to Human Factors course, University of Wisconsin - 5 times from 2008 - 2011
- “Usability in Healthcare” – Marshfield Clinic, World Usability Day Presentation, November 2009
- “A Manufacturer’s Take on Patient Safety: Anesthesia and Ventilation” - University of Wisconsin Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement, Co-presenter February 2007
- “Usability in Healthcare” – Presented to UPA-Wisconsin Chapter
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES) Rocky Mountain Chapter Events Committee Member - January 2015 - Present
- Product Design Association of Utah - Member - 2013 - 2015
- Interaction Design Association, Madison Chapter – Group Leader and Member 2011-2012
- System Engineering Initiative for Patient Safety, University of Wisconsin - Member 2005 - 2012
- General Assembly: Product Management (planning for March - June 2017)
- HubSpot Inbound Marketing Certification
- Adaptive Path - UX Intensive Course
- Introduction to Marketing - Madison Area Technical College
- The Creative Problem Solving Group, Inc – Igniting Creative Potential
Patent #7,530,353: Apparatus and Method for Determining and Displaying Functional Residual Capacity Data and Related Parameters of Ventilated Patients.
- “Experience Points” - My thoughts on UX, Healthcare, and Patient Safety: http://paulmicheliux.com/blog
- “A Healthy Dose of Reality” – A blog to share recent findings from the field of Patient Safety (2010-2011): Republished at http://www.paulmicheliux.com/saferhcx
- Sierra Club Inspiring Connections Outdoors (ICO) volunteer - January 2017 - present
- United Way Day of Caring volunteer – September 2014, 2015
- Big Brother, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Dane County - 2008 - 2012
- Compete in marathons, half-marathons, and road bike centuries